Tuesday 17 May 2011

Random picture



So, I've finally worked out how to input photos into this thing. I love my iPad dearly, but people really need to work on certain apps.
I did have a topic in mind when I started trying to get a photo attached to this blog, but it was so long ago I'm damned if I can remember what it was. Waffling is bound to follow.

So random picture of me suspended a long way up a beautiful cliff somewhere on England's south coast. I fell asleep on the minibus on the way there and never found out where we were. If anyone recognizes the rock let me know, I'd love to go back.

Having a bit of a yellow moment in this picture, I'd found a nice big safe crack and was looking in horror at the huge overhang just above me.

Its a great hobby, but then I think it's massively important to scare yourself witless at least once a year. For those of you who prefer a tamer workout inside centers are becoming massively popular, and tend to run workshops for newbies, as well as having links to local outdoor climbing groups if you fancy something a little more adventurous occasionally. Regardless of how you do it, it's a great workout. You can be as social as you like, work as hard as you feel comfortable with, and you get a real thrill when you finally get to the top of a challenging route. A good center will constantly change the setup of the walls so there will always be new challenges to master. Beats the hell out of running on the same machine 3 days a week.

As with anything nowadays I think people are put off by the massive cost of buying the kit, and with good reason, a full rack for outdoor use can set you back a thousand pounds easily. Thankfully you can usually rent gear for just a few pounds a time nowadays, but if you find yourself going back often I'd strongly recommend getting at least a pair of decent climbing shoes.

One of the biggest issues people have with starting climbing is the long repeated excuse "I'm not strong enough". Rubbish! If you can walk around and stand upright, you can climb.

So go try it!


No comments:

Post a Comment