Tuesday 9 August 2011

Infinity

I AM A TERRIBLE BLOGGER!!!!!!
Ok, so, it's been a while, I can live with that, it's not like anyone reads this
One of the guys at our local games club brought in a copy of the new infinity rules
Infinity the Game
I watched a bit and had a quick flick through the rules.
I went back and had another look.
Then went home, downloaded the rules pack and, after cleaning up the copious amounts of drool on the keyboard, promptly ordered a starter set.
I've been looking for a nice squad sized sci fi game for a while now. 40K doesn't cut it with only a few minis. Necromunda has never realy grabbed me. And looking at the rules for War Machine makes my head hurt, now I'm sure it's an amazing game, and I've heard it's brilliant once you get the hang of it. But the learning curve is second only to Dwarf Fortress, an amazing PC game I'll cover later, maybe.

Anyway, Infinity.
Now, I always try to avoid the "new game syndrome" that makes people go a bit funny after seeing a new rules set they like. so I always try and find things I don't like about a new game, before I start frothing.
OK, I don't like the scatter mechanic. The scatter dice is an amazing thing and should be used rather than rolling for a random direction. And you can still have that awkward moment where your amazing demo veteran throws his grenade 12" behind him.

Right. So, some things I like. I've been saying for years that the biggest problem GW made was using D6's in it's systems. The D20 means that there can be a real difference between units in the game. I also loved the system for throwing grenades over walls, go look it up. It's great. I love the turn sequence as well. It's an active/reactive system, where one player get to take his actions, and the other can make certain reactions. It helps prevent those horrible moveruncharge turns that units in 40K pull off with impunity.
Ok, no review would be complete without a few pictures. I couldn't possibly show off all the miniatures here, there's far too many, but I think one won't hurt
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

a little more anime than I'm used to, but I like them. A starter set goes for about €40 with shipping included. And a 300 point game is about €70-100 depending on the race and army composition.



No comments:

Post a Comment